The Orient Composition Competition
The London Chinese Children’s Ensemble (LCCE) encourages young composers around the UK to present their original musical works. The Orient Composition Competition provides a platform for aspiring composers to create original music for youth ensembles. The aim of the competition is to discover new talents and enrich the conversation between western and eastern young musicians. The winning composition will be offered a world premiere by LCCE.
Open to young composers up to 25 years old on 25 June 2021.
25 June 2021
First prize: £300 and a world premiere at the LCCE 2020 summer concert
Second prize: £200
Third prize: £100
- Scott Wilson: Artistic Director and conductor of LCCE (www.scottwilsonconductor.com)
- John Woolrich: World renowned composer (https://www.fabermusic.com/composers/john-woolrich)
- The piece of music must be inspired by the theme: “The Orient”. The title of the composition can be freely chosen by the author.
- The piece of music must never have been performed.
- Duration: up to 5 minutes
- Instrumentation: An orchestra consisting of maximum 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 1 timpanist or percussionist (standard percussion instruments only), and strings.
- Entrants are encouraged to use traditional Chinese themes /melodies as inspiration for their compositions
- The composition must be appropriate for performance in a concert by school aged children with a playing standard of ABRSM grade 6 and below.
Scores must be submitted as PDF files.
- A computer generated recording of the work in mp3/m4a format if possible.
- Composers whose works are chosen for performance will be required to email PDFs of parts prior to the rehearsal period
- Please email your composition to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘THE ORIENT| COMPOSITION COMPETITION’ in the subject line. Please DO NOT include your name or any other contact details in the scores.
- Please include the following information in your email submission
- Full name, age, school or college.
- The composer’s contact email and telephone or parent or guardian’s contact email and telephone if under 18.
- A brief description of how the work is related to the theme: “The Orient”
- A short bio (50 – 100 words) of the composer.
- A statement by the composer stating that the submitted work is original, completed independently, has never been published or performed in public and/or broadcast before, nor prized in any composer’s competition.
- A statement agreeing to permit the performance of the composition to be recorded, broadcast or telecast, archived and used for CD production without compensation.
- A statement agreeing to the treatment of personal information in accordance with privacy laws. (GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation – 2016/679).